collected, processed and analyzed data related to the modern
demographic trends in the countries of Southeastern Europe.
It possesses demographic databases for Greece and other
Balkan countries at national level, and aims at their development at
regional level. It has also developed the software enabling demographic
analysis as well as GIS applications and satellite image analyses of
the urban environment.
carried out the following research projects since 1999:
The impact of the current economic crisis on population dynamics in Greece, Research financed by the Institute for work /General Confederation of Greek Workers, 2014-2015.
ITAN (Ιntegrated Territorial Analysis of the Neighborhoods), Research coordinated by CNRS/EVS, 2013-2014.
- Low fertility in developed countries, trends and prospective, the case of Greece, Research financed by the Greek Ministry of Education, Lifelong learning and Religious Affairs, General Secretariat for Research and Technology, 2011-2013.
- Mortality by cause of death in Greece, a first spatial approach 1991-2010 Research financed by the Research Committee of Univ. οf Thessaly, 2011- 2012.
- Statistical assessment of TV viewing measurement methods, 2008.
- The demographic profile of the Room population of Istanbul, 2006-2007.
- Population Ageing in the Western Balkans: Factors, Perspectives, Implications (Le viellissement démographique dans la partie ouest des Balkans: prospectives, facteurs, incidences). Joint Research and Technology programme (Greece –France), 2007-2008.
- Supporting the Design of migration Policies: an Analysis of Migration flows between Albania and Greece. Research project financed by the World Bank, 2005-2006.
- e-demography- Digital Information Infrastructure for Documentation and Analysis of Demographic Information. Research project financed by the Greek Ministry of Education, 2004-2008.
- The Profile of the Greek Woman: a First Spatial Approach. Research project financed by the General Secretariat of Research and Technology (GSRT) and the Research Centre for Gender Issues, 2003-2006.
- Migrations in the Southeastern Balkans During the Last Decade (“Les migrations de la derniere decennie dans la partie sud-est des Bakans”). Joint research and Technology programmes (Greece - France), 2003-2006.
- Thematic Mapping of Non-Income Dimensions of Poverty in Albania Research financed by the World Bank, 2003.
- Documentation of the National Censuses in the EU, EFTA and Candidate Countries. Research project financed by EUROSTAT, 2002-2003.
- Pandora: Digital Demographic Atlas of Greece. Research financed by the General Secretariat of Research and Technology (GSRT), 2001-2003.
- Statistical Assessment of TV Viewing Measurement Methods, 2001.
- Study-Research for the Spatial Plan and Economic Development of the Ethikon Municipality, 2000.
- The Spatial Dimensions of Demographic Developments (1981-1991) in Greece. Research financed by the University of Thessaly, 1999.
in its short time of existence, given the fact of the experience of the
scientists working in it or collaborating with it, is oriented towards
the applied demographic analysis, the development of an analysis and
management database software, and to an automated cartography of these
products. Significant specialisation has been achieved in the
development of: friendly to the user database management tools,
statistical analysis of these data, autonomous applications of
Geographical Information Systems with emphasis on the thematic
cartography and internet applications. This project has educational,
research and operational dimensions.
developed five web sites:
The first, www.demography-lab.prd.uth.gr includes a
presentation of the Lab and its members / collaborators as well as an
analytical description of its activities (in Greek) and a summary
presentation in English.
The second, www.demographics.gr , has been created in the context of LDSA’s participation in
the Pandora project aiming to develop a Digital Demographic Atlas of
Greece, financed by the General Secretariat of Research and Technology
(GSRT). It includes online - real time data bases, working,
educational, mapping and visualization tools as well as statistical
The third has been created as part of
the «Documentation of the National Censuses in the EU, EFTA
and Candidate Countries» project financed by
ΕΕ/EUROSTAT. It includes:
i) general information material for population and housing 2000 arising
from censuses in the EU, EFTA and Candidate Countries, ii) the census
bulletins and the legal framework on the basis of which the last
population censuses were conducted, iii) the legal framework that
regulating data collection in each country (laws on statistical data,
confidentiality etc.), iv) the completed questionnaires (per country)
of the LDSA survey on the basis of which national reports were
prepared, v) the national reports and vi) the final report for EUROSTAT.
The fourth bilingual web site www.podepro.prd.uth.gr provides detailed
information on the organization on the joint Greek-French post-graduate
Programme leading to an M.Sc. degree in Demography and the Economics of
Development and Integration (with specialization in Population,
Development and Foresight)
The fifth www.demobalk.org
provides detailed information on the DemoBalk network